Hi! Today I thought I would do something a little different with my blogging. As a Labor and Delivery nurse and a newborn photographer, I work with a lot of new parents. As well as being a mother of three, I clearly remember the challenges of having a new baby join the family. So, today I thought I would share 5 tips to help your newborn fall asleep.
- This may sound a little off, but don’t be quiet. Babies are used to a lot of noise when they were in the womb. Babies love and need strong rhythmic noises. Keep talking and doing your daily activities as you normally would. You can also use noise makers that are made just for helping babies sleep, such as this DexBaby Sound Sleeper that you can find at Target.
- Swaddle! Babies LOVE to be wrapped nice and snug. I can’t tell you how many time after a new baby is born that I take them over to the warmer to swaddle them. They almost always stop crying. They are use to being in a very snug, warm place. So, find a nice soft blanket and keep them bundled.
- Swing! Baby swings are the bomb! Put them in a reclined baby swing with the buckle on and let them swing away. It’s a myth that your are starting a bad habit. You can always gradually take them away from the swing once they learn more how to soothe themselves. Any calm rhythmic movement is relaxing for them, so pull out that rocking chair as well. I have to admit, my husband and I rocked our first baby to sleep for her first 4 years of life. Not so sure I would recommend that. 🙂
- Pull out the spa treatment! Studies show that newborns who had a 15 minute massage before bed fell asleep faster and slept more soundly than those who did not. Here is a great article from Parents Magazine on how to massage your baby. Really, who doesn’t love a great massage?
- Provide your baby with a cozy sleeping location. Babies tend to sleep better in bassinets because they are more enclosed and feel safer being near their parents. You can bring a bassinet into your bedroom. A co-sleeper can have the same effect. It is not recommend to have your baby sleep in the bed with you.
Having a new baby can be the most wonderful and challenging time of your life. But, within the blink of an eye, they are all grown up. So, hang in there and drink it up! Here are some interesting and helpful articles I have found about getting that sweet little one to sleep.
If you would like to find out more information, please contact me.
To check out more of my work go to my website at martiehamptonphotography.com